You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand there are pleasures forevermore. (Psalm 16:11, AMPC)
I’m learning there are several ways to enjoy motherhood. Yes, it can be a daunting task at times. But often if I change my mindset and look for ways to enjoy it… I discover that there is joy in motherhood. More joy than I can possibly comprehend. I want to share some of the things that have brought joy to this journey for me. I pray that you will discover the joy that the Lord has for you as you embrace this adventure called motherhood.
- Get outside ~ this helps me a lot! Getting outside and enjoying the fresh air helps get my mind in the right place.
- Plan a play date ~ play dates with other moms are absolutely invaluable.
- Discover a new playground ~ my boys and I love going for a ride in the car and discovering a new playground. To make this extra special, stop and get a coffee treat for your time there.
- Create a leaf pile ~ my son loves to make leaf piles and jump in them. I find joy in watching him enjoy the simple things of life.
- Give extra time to everything ~ This one has helped me a lot. I need to give at least an extra 3o minutes for everywhere we go because inevitably there will be a blowout or a “I’ve got to go the bathroom mommy” right before we leave. That extra time helps me enjoy myself and not get stressed.
- Cook together ~ My 3 year old loves to put on his apron and help me cook in the kitchen. Sure it’s a crazy mess but I’m telling you that it’s a hundred more times the fun.
- Laugh often ~ Laugh as often as possible even if it’s at yourself. This will definitely increase your capacity for joy.
- Don’t keep a record of wrongs ~ show grace to yourself and your children. No one’s perfect! Let go and enjoy the next moment!
- Forgive quickly ~ the quicker you forgive, the faster you can enjoy the next moment.
- Give yourself permission to enjoy it ~ Sometimes I simply have to give myself permission to just enjoy these sweet moments as a mom of tots. They are God’s gift to me and I want to enjoy them as much as possible.
- Become a part of a Mom’s group ~ I’m in a MOPS group that I love. It’s great to reflect with other moms on the crazy times of motherhood.
- Join a Bible study ~ these help you stay focused on what really matters and keep you accountable to grow in Christ.
- Workout with your kids ~ I do leg presses with my boys and airplane rides. We have been known to put on an exercise video and exercise together. The endorphins released bring on the joy!
- Play lots of games ~ my sons enjoy anything that I can make into a race. We race into church. We race to different places. We play “I Spy” a lot and even “Red Light, Green Light”. Games make life fun for you and your child.
- Carve out time for yourself ~ this one is very important. You are working hard all day, every day. You deserve a break once in a while. Don’t neglect to take care of yourself. The time you carve out for yourself will make you a better mom for your children.
Dear Father God, Please help me to remember that there is so much joy to be found in motherhood. May I not wish a single day of it away but may I embrace this season that You have entrusted to me. I pray that every day I will look for the joy that can be found in the little moments and enjoy my boys to the fullest.
Discovering Joy in Motherhood,