This verse outlines one of the goals I’ve had for this year! Every year, I try to watch my tongue just a little more closely. I want a tighter reign on it. I want the words that proceed from my mouth to encourage, uplift, and nourish others. If for some reason, I can’t come up with words to do this in a situation… then I pray I will be silent. I pray that I will not foolishly open my mouth and give way to Satan’s conniving ways. I don’t want my mouth to be used for anything, but God’s glory.
Tag Archive for: Proverbs
Wisdom for life comes in many forms but no one can offer us advice on this subject like God can. That’s one of the reasons I love the book of Proverbs in the Bible. It’s filled with rich thoughts on how to live. It gives direction in a directionally challenged world. It gives a glimpse of what life can be when we are surrendered to God’s purpose. It leads us towards God and teaches us how to be more Christlike.
I’m excited to announce that the latest book in the Victorious Living Collection is being released today. You can find Wisdom for Life anywhere that books are sold. This was a fun book to put together on the Proverbs. I wasn’t able to capture every nugget in the Proverbs, but I did do my best to give you at least a snippet.
When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. (Proverbs 10:19)
First of all, I have to admit that I’ve read this verse many times before and never been struck so deeply by the meaning of it in my own life! Words! We all use them, but there are definitely times we would like to give ownership of some of them to another. The ones that sneak out at times when we act unaware, times when our tongue is slippery and sharp. It cuts quickly and smooth.
For people who hate discipline and only get more stubborn, there’ll come a day when life tumbles in and they break, but by then it’ll be too late to help them.
2 When good people run things, everyone is glad,
but when the ruler is bad, everyone groans.
3 If you love wisdom, you’ll delight your parents,
but you’ll destroy their trust if you run with whores.
Read Proverbs 29 today!
Solomon wrote the words of Proverbs 31 to young men, warning them to stay away from promiscuous women. He shared this Proverb to help young men learn what kind of women they should be looking for. We often read it as a list of expectations, but I think we need to remember that marriage is a team effort. It takes two players to bring out this list of qualities.
Now I want to remember the single people who are reading this devotional too. Let me remind you that God wants you to prepare yourself as the woman in this passage too. And men, God wants you to become the man who brings these qualities out in the Proverbs 31 woman. Our eyes need to turn to the Lord! We need to search the things of God and find what is lacking in ourselves, so we can become the full package for marriage. Marriage does not complete life, it only enhances life. God is calling us to grow daily in Him, so that we can reflect what Scripture says to each other. Let’s take a look at this Proverb and find the virtues for our lives!
1. Beauty ~ vs. 10, 20, 21, 22, 30
- Women ~ Your worth comes from deep within. A heart dedicated to the Lord and His purpose. Your beauty comes from knowing God and reflecting His desires in your life.
- Men ~ How will you become the man who brings out beauty in the woman you have married or the woman you one day will marry?
2. Trustworthy ~ vs. 11-12, 23, 28, 31 “…all the days of your life.”
- Women ~ The greatest gift you can give to your husband is respect. Admire him and trust him! Esteem him! Even now, before you know him… pray for him and entrust him to the Lord’s hands!
- Men ~ The greatest gift you can give to your wife is love. Find out what her love language is and learn to speak it well. Even now, before you know her… pray for her, as she is waiting for you.
3. Diligent ~ vs. 13, 16, 19, 24, 27
- Women ~ A virtuous woman uses her time wisely. She is diligent in the tasks that are given to her. She is full of zeal for the Lord and the work He has put before her.
- Men ~ Your love for a woman increases her zeal, her diligence, and her drive for the Lord. She will be victorious in her marriage, her family, her ministry, and with her friends, if she knows your love is there to support her!
4. Spirit of Readiness ~ vs. 14, 15, 18
- Women ~ A noble woman is always ready to do the right thing for God. She is ready to provide for her family, long before they know they need that provision. She often keeps long hours without complaining. Single women ~ May you prepare yourself through prayer to be a woman ready to give God’s best to the family He will one day provide for you. Your relationship with God is the single most important thing you will ever cultivate in and out of marriage.
- Men ~ The love of your life always has your best in mind. She is concerned about your health, your provision, your needs, your wants, and so much more! Take time to appreciate her! It goes a long ways! Single men ~ Choose wisely! Pray for a woman who puts God first and foremost in her life.
5. Strength & Wisdom ~ vs. 17, 25, 26
- Women ~ True strength comes from God alone. We cannot operate from our own strength. We will fail ourselves many times over, but with God’s strength operating through us… we can conquer the world. Remember, “the one who is in you is greater than he who is in the world (1 John 4:4).”
- Men ~ The truth is we are stronger when we work with you as a team. “Two are better than one… (Ecclesiastes 4:9).” We are grateful when you take time to listen, encourage us, and strengthen us by being there. Thank you for being the iron that sharpens us daily! “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another (Proverbs 27:17).” Single men ~ Your prayers will continue to sharpen the wife you have yet to know!
Dear Father God, Thank You for my dear husband who continues to bring out the best in me. I pray for him today that You will watch over him and protect him. May You guide his steps and continue to counsel him in your ways. I praise You for the work You are doing in our marriage. I’m grateful for every day that You give us! Marriage is not something to be celebrated on just a yearly basis, but I believe it’s a daily celebration. Especially, in the world we live in. So today I celebrate a marriage built on You! The Rock of my salvation! Thank You for a husband who loves You, serves You, and cherishes me through You! All honor, glory, and praise is due Your name!
Celebrating God’s Design,
Partners & Affiliates
Thank you to all who have partnered with us to provide our life-transforming resources to the many who are in need.
Subscribe To Us
By subscribing to our newsletters, you opt-in to receive upcoming news, events and volunteer opportunities with The Priceless Journey.