Even a boy is known and distinguished by his acts, whether his conduct is pure and right. (Proverbs 20:11, AMP)
Read Proverbs 27 today!
What to look for in a friend and what to avoid?
“He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.” ~Proverbs 13:20
- Look for someone who displays wisdom in their life!
- Avoid someone who acts foolishly!
“Stay away from a foolish man, for you will not find knowledge on his lips.” ~Proverbs 14:7
- Look for someone who speaks the truth!
- Avoid someone who lies!
“He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends.” ~Proverbs 17:9
- Look for someone who practices forgiveness!
- Beware of those who harbor bitterness!
“Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam; so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out.” ~Proverbs 17:14
- Look for someone who promotes peace in a conversation!
- Beware of someone who likes to quarrel!
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” ~Proverbs 17:17
- Look for someone who can stand during difficult times!
- Beware of someone who runs at the sight of trouble!
“A gossip betrays a confidence, so avoid a man who talks too much.” ~Proverbs 20:19
- Look for someone who can keep a secret!
- Avoid someone who talks too much!
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” ~Proverbs 27:17
- Look for someone who can sharpen you!
- Avoid being close friends with someone who is not growing in the Lord!
These are just a few things to look for when you’re picking out people to be friends with. I’m not saying not to be friends with people who don’t have these qualities, but I am saying be careful of anyone who does not strengthen you in your relationship with the Lord.
The best way to find friends who resemble the above attributes is to become a person with these qualities. Become the type of friend that God can be proud of. Become what you long to see in someone else! I guarantee that God will provide the right people at just the right time in your life. He knows your needs better than you know them. For now, just become the person that God desires you to be! Glean from God’s Word and grow in His wisdom!
Dear Father God, I pray that You will be the Author of every friendship in my life. Lord, please help me to hold my friends accountable to Your Word. May I only entrust the deepest parts of my heart to those who are following Your Word and gleaning from Your wisdom. Please help me to become this kind of friend. May I be the one who listens, tells the truth, loves at all times, promotes peace, sharpens others, and practices forgiveness!
Becoming the Friend that God wants me to be,