ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN “Genesis”
I’ve been studying Genesis a lot lately and I continue to be amazed at what I find there. I have studied it many times before, but God always finds a way to help me experience it in a new way. I’m starting to get the feeling like this could be a book that sets you up for life. Kind of like that old saying, “All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten.” Yes, I feel it is very important to know the whole Bible and allow all of it to impact your daily life with the Lord. Please don’t misunderstand me.
I simply want to draw some truths from Genesis to show you how exciting God’s Word can be. It is vibrant, living, and active in our daily lives, if we allow it to be. Sometimes we tend to make God’s Word complicated and forget to draw the meaning from it for our lives. God wants us to seek His Truth, so we can be renewed daily in Him.
“the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” (Genesis 2:7)
Did you catch everything this passage has to offer you? There are five significant things to catch in this passage of Scripture. Do not read it too quickly and forget to observe what God has laid before you. God does everything in an orderly manner. He doesn’t leave out a single detail. This passage shares the orderliness of a perfect God. Will you take the time to celebrate the perfection of God when He created man? Let’s start at the beginning of the verse.
1. “the Lord God…” ~ There is only One who can claim the rights to creating you. There are plenty of lies out there describing stories to discredit the work that God did, but the Truth cannot be denied. God’s workmanship speaks for itself. There are times you will feel like defending God and certainly there will be times God will call you to action. But God’s honor is defended in the work that He did by His own hands.
“since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities–his eternal power and divine nature–have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.” ~Romans 1:19-20
Now don’t use this as an excuse to not share the Gospel. God has still called you to share the message of His Son. This passage is simply letting people know that the Big Bang Theory, Evolution, etc. are not conclusive evidence for all that we see around us. Continue to remember that you have been created by One who takes great delight in His work!
2. “…formed the man…” ~ Have you ever taken time to examine this part of the Scripture? These are quite possibly three of the top 100 special words in the Bible. Everything else that God put on the earth, He either created or made. You can take a look at that in Chapter 1. But when it came to man, he formed him. The Hebrew word for this is yatsar “to form or to fashion”. This term is usually used for the work of an artist who has a plan or design in mind. Isn’t that a beautiful thought. I sit here with tears in my eyes thinking about the time it took God to create man. I’m sure it wasn’t a moment. Yes, to the stars, moon, water, animals, and things of this earth God said let it be and it was. But for man God took His time and like a potter with a lump of clay he formed something amazing.
3. “…from the dust of the ground…” ~ God created us from something simple. He could have taken fine gold dust or pearl dust. He had the world open to Him, but He chose the dust of the ground. I don’t think the choice of dust really matters when you have the Creator Himself taking His hands and molding you in His image. The dust simply reminds me that I need my Savior. I am dirty, but in Him I am clean.
“…all our righteous acts are like filthy rags…” Isaiah 64:6
I’m so glad that God chose from the very beginning to remind me, my Savior would be the One to wash me white as snow. Through Him I find redemption for my sins. I find a loving God who makes me lovable through Jesus Christ.
4. “…and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life…” ~ This would be the part in the Hollywood movie where everyone gasps or says the big “AHHH”! God created a love story that simply would blow Hollywood away. God didn’t breathe life into a tree, He didn’t breathe life into the lion, He didn’t breathe life into a whale…….He breathed life into man! The very breath of God went into mankind. That is a thought I can’t wrap my mind around. God didn’t get out the paddles to jump start Adam’s heart, he didn’t do CPR, he didn’t put him on life support…. NO, God breathed LIFE into man! I hope you are getting this! I can’t put into words how I feel about this because it is simply too amazing for me. I pray the Lord helps you see it like I do. May you be swept away in a great embrace, as the Lord shows you what it’s like to breathe every breath HE GAVE you!
“The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of Almighty gives me life.” ~Job 33:4
5. “…and the man became a living being…” ~ I’ll make this last point very simple. “The man became a “LIVING” being.” The least we can do for God once we choose to hand our lives over to Him is LIVE for Him. It’s a daily choice. Will you live for Him today? Will you live out what you see in this passage? Will you choose to show others who your Father is in Heaven? Someone you know needs to know Jesus. What will you do to show someone Jesus today?
Dear Father God, I pray that we continue to embrace all that Your Word teaches us. May Your Truth come alive to us and may we choose to live by it! Thank You for taking the time to form man and to breathe into his nostrils the breath of life. This shows me how much You care about me and reminds me that You’re never too busy to take Your time with me.
All I Really Need to Know,